Volleyball is a game that requires an active mind that helps in good coordination between hands and eyes. The player should have fast reflexes along with fast movements.
This raises the question: Can I play volleyball with glasses?
The article will take you in depth about wearing glasses while playing volleyball supporting the arguments with pros and cons and alternative options for people who have poor eyesight and still want to play this game.
Can you play volleyball with glasses?
When it comes to playing volleyball with glasses, there is no specific rule that prohibits it. However, it is not recommended to keep in mind the safety of the player. Glasses can easily break during the game, especially if you take a hard hit from the ball or another player, and can cause serious eye injuries.
Glasses interrupt clear vision as it blocks peripheral vision that can affect the ability to see the ball and increases the chance of injuries. However, you may have seen volleyball players with sunglasses on the beach and wondered why beach volleyball players wear sunglasses. So the simple answer to this question is, players, prefer wearing sunglasses to keep away the sun’s glare.
It depends on the player whether to wear glasses while playing or not. Pros and cons should be considered before arriving at a decision.
What if you have poor eyesight?
Consider these options if you want to play volleyball even if you have poor vision.
- The first option is to wear glasses while playing.
- The second option is to wear contact lenses.
- Optometry correction surgery is the third possibility.
Each choice has advantages and disadvantages, and it is up to the person to choose the one that works best for them.
Pros & Cons of wearing glasses when playing volleyball
Wearing glasses while playing volleyball has both pros and cons.
- Better Vision: Glasses can help your vision and make it easier for you to see the ball. This can help you react faster and make better decisions on the court.
- Eye Protection: Glasses can protect your eyes from getting hit by the ball or from getting scratched by sand or other debris.
- Comfortable Fit: Nowadays, there are many sports glasses specifically designed for athletes that are lightweight, comfortable, and provide a secure fit.
- Risk of Breakage: Glasses can easily break during the game, especially if you take a hard hit from the ball or another player. Broken glasses can cause serious eye injuries.
- Distortion: Glasses can distort your peripheral vision, which can affect your ability to see the ball coming from the side.
- Discomfort: Some people find wearing glasses uncomfortable while playing sports, especially if they slip or fog up.
Contact Lenses as an alternative option
Contact lenses are another option for people with poor eyesight who want to play volleyball.
Here are some pros and cons of wearing contact lenses while playing volleyball:
- Better vision: contact lenses provide clear vision without the distortion of glasses, helping you see the ball more clearly and react faster.
- Unrestricted Movement: Contact lenses do not interfere with your peripheral vision, which allows you to move more freely on the court.
- No Risk of Breakage: Contact lenses cannot break during the game, which eliminates the risk of eye injuries from broken glasses.
- Risk of Discomfort: Some people find wearing contact lenses uncomfortable, especially during intense physical activity. They can also cause dryness and irritation in some individuals.
- Higher Cost: Contact lenses can be more expensive than glasses, especially if you need to replace them frequently.
- Care and Maintenance: Contact lenses require proper care and maintenance to prevent infections and ensure their longevity.
No rule prohibits wearing glasses while playing volleyball. However, it is generally not recommended due to the risk of breakage and distortion of peripheral vision.
Contact lenses can be a better option for people with poor eyesight who want to play volleyball. They provide clear vision without the risk of breakage and allow for unrestricted movement on the court.
And for those who love to wear sunglasses while playing volleyball on the beach, you can take a look at the best sunglasses for beach volleyball to slay your game in style.
However, they also have certain pros and cons. Deciding which method to follow is a personal choice of an individual. So consider all the possibilities and then arrive at a decision.