You might have thought as a duck hunter whether you should put on sunglasses when out in the field. After all, it’s not only about looking cool or fashionable; wearing sunglasses when hunting has practical benefits as well.
This post gives a clear insight into sunglasses while duck hunting and if it is suitable for duck hunting. Another aspect covered in this article is these types of sunglasses are appropriate for which sports.
Let’s find out.
Can You Wear Sunglasses When Duck Hunting?
The short answer is yes, you absolutely can and should wear sunglasses when duck hunting. It’s highly recommended. There are many explanations why glasses are an important element of hunting equipment.
Benefits of Wearing Sunglasses While Duck Hunting
- Protects Your Eyes: They protect your eyes from harmful radiation from the sun that can damage your eyes to a great extent.
- Enhances Vision: It gives clarity to the vision as it reduces glare by increasing contrast and improves visibility in low light.
- Reduces Eye Strain: Wearing sunglasses can reduce eye strain caused by bright sunlight, wind, and dust.
- Improves Safety: Sunglasses can improve safety by protecting your eyes from foreign substances and avoiding injuries.
Types of Sunglasses Suitable for Duck Hunting
When it comes to selecting the right sunglasses for duck hunting, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the glasses should be polarized to reduce glare and improve visibility. Secondly, the glasses should have a wraparound style to provide maximum coverage and protection from the sun, wind, and debris.
Some of the popular types of sunglasses suitable for duck hunting are –
- Wraparound Sunglasses: These glasses have a wraparound style that provides complete coverage and protection from the sun and other environmental elements.
- Polarized Sunglasses: These glasses have lenses that reduce glare and improve visibility in bright sunlight.
- Photochromic Sunglasses: These glasses change color depending on the light conditions, providing excellent visibility in both bright and low light conditions.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Sunglasses for Duck Hunting
- Lens Color: The lens color can affect visibility and contrast in different light conditions. It is recommended to choose lenses that have a brown or amber tint for duck hunting.
- Lens Material: The lens material can affect the durability, weight, and clarity of the glasses. Polycarbonate and glass lenses are the most popular choices for hunting sunglasses.
- Frame Material: The frame material can affect the comfort and durability of the glasses. Lightweight and durable materials, such as nylon and aluminum, are popular choices for hunting sunglasses.
Tips for Wearing Sunglasses While Duck Hunting
- Keep the glasses clean: Use a cloth made of microfiber to wipe away dirt, debris, and fingerprints from your sunglasses on a regular basis.
- Avoid touching the lenses: Do not touch the lenses with your fingers, as this might cause smudges and scratches.
- Store the glasses in a protective case: When not in use, keep the glasses in their protective case to avoid scratches and damage.
- Choose the right lens color: Choose lenses with a brown or amber tint for better visibility and contrast in different light conditions.
In conclusion, wearing sunglasses while duck hunting is not only possible but highly recommended. The bright side of wearing sunglasses during any outdoor activity includes protection of eyes from UV light and comforts eyes by avoiding the strain on them. When choosing sunglasses for duck hunting, it is important to consider factors such as lens color, lens material, frame design, and overall durability. Additionally, proper care and maintenance of sunglasses are crucial to ensure their longevity and effectiveness.
Q Can I wear shorts while duck hunting?
While it is generally not recommended to wear shorts while duck hunting, the choice of clothing ultimately depends on personal preference and specific hunting conditions. It is important to prioritize comfort, protection, and safety when selecting your attire.
Q What are the benefits of wearing sunglasses while duck hunting?
Wearing sunglasses while duck hunting provides essential eye protection by shielding against harmful UV rays. They reduce glare from the water’s surface, enhance visibility, safeguard eyes from debris, and improve color perception, ensuring a safer and more enjoyable hunting experience.
Q What features should I consider in sunglasses for duck hunting?
When selecting sunglasses for duck hunting, consider features such as polarized lenses to reduce glare, 100% UV protection for eye safety, impact-resistant materials for durability, a secure and comfortable fit, and lens tints like amber or brown to enhance contrast and depth perception in various hunting environments.