In the aviation industry, pilots face unique challenges and conditions that demand specialized gear for their safety and performance.
Among these essential tools, sunglasses hold great significance, as they protect pilots’ eyes and optimize their visibility during flights. The right pair of sunglasses can effectively reduce glare, block harmful UV rays, and provide clear vision in varying light conditions.
This article explores the Best sunglasses for pilots, considering factors such as lens technology, frame design, comfort, durability, and style.
By evaluating different options and their features, pilots can make an informed choice, ensuring optimum protection, performance, and style in the skies.
Our Top Picks
Best Overall Sunglasses for Pilots: Ray-Ban Classic Aviator Sunglasses
Best Runner-Up: Randolph Classic Aviator Sunglasses
Best Oakley Sunglasses for Pilots: Oakley Crosshair Aviator Sunglasses
Best Aviators Under $100: Blenders Eyewear Mojave Gold
Other Great Pilot Sunglasses:
Best Overall Sunglasses for Pilots
Ray-Ban Classic Aviator Sunglasses
For pilots seeking the best aviation sunglasses, the Ray-Ban RB3025 Classic Aviator Sunglasses prove to be an exceptional choice. These sunglasses offer a range of features that enhance the flying experience and provide optimal eye protection.
One remarkable feature is the Ray-Ban G-15 non-polarized lenses, renowned for their superior UV light protection. Originally designed for pilots’ use, these lenses ensure that eyes are shielded from harmful UV rays during long hours in the cockpit.
The 100% UV protection provides peace of mind, especially at higher altitudes where UV radiation is stronger.
Another advantage of the Ray-Ban RB3025 Classic Aviator Sunglasses is the wide range of frame and lens colors available. Pilots can choose from an array of options to match their personal style and preferences. Whether one prefers the timeless elegance of gold or the sleek and modern look of silver, there is a frame color to suit every taste.
The crystal lenses, available in shades like brown and green, not only enhance visual clarity but also provide optimal protection against harmful UV rays. With these lenses, pilots can experience improved visibility while ensuring their eyes remain shielded from the damaging effects of UV radiation.
Additionally, the Ray-Ban RB3025 Aviators are designed as unisex sunglasses, making them suitable for both male and female pilots. The durability of these sunglasses ensures they withstand the demands of aviation environments while remaining fashionable.
Another feature that pilots will appreciate is the variety of size options available. This ensures that you can get a pair that fits your face shape and size well. The larger 62mm size is recommended for those with bigger heads or wider faces, while the smaller 55mm size is ideal for those with more narrow faces. The 58mm size is perfect for men with an average-width face and fits the average woman’s face for a slightly oversized look.
- Wide variety of frame and lens colors
- Crystal lenses enhance visual clarity
- Offers optimal protection against UV rays
- Unisex design suitable for both male and female pilots
- Durable and built to last
- Includes case and lens cloth for protection and cleaning
- Fit limitations for some users
- May slide off nose in warm/hot temperatures
Best Runner Up
Randolph Classic Aviator Sunglasses
Randolph Classic Aviator Sunglasses is a top-of-the-line product that is perfect for pilots looking for a high-quality, functional, and stylish accessory. Made in the USA, these sunglasses feature a 23k gold luxury finish frame with SkyTec™ Glass AGX Green Non-Polarized Lens, making them both durable and elegant.
One of the most important features of these sunglasses is their SkyTec™ Glass Lens that provides 100% UVA/UVB protection. Additionally, they have Vector™ Anti-Reflective backside coating and Blue Wave™ HEV Blue Light Management lens, helping to reduce glare and provide crystal clear visual acuity. The non-polarized lenses are perfect for pilots as they won’t interfere with cockpit instruments, ensuring the highest level of safety.
Another great feature of the Randolph Classic Aviator Sunglasses is that they are available in different colors and sizes, making it easy for pilots to find the perfect fit for their face shape and size. The package includes a genuine embossed hard case and a microfiber cleaning cloth for easy maintenance.
The self-adjusting cushioned nose pads ensure a secure and comfortable fit, even during extended periods of wear. These sunglasses are engineered to stay in place, allowing pilots to focus on their flight without any discomfort or distractions.
These sunglasses are built to last, with a lifetime warranty on all frames, and solder joints are also covered for life. This warranty provides peace of mind to pilots, knowing that their investment is protected and that Randolph stands by their product.
They are handcrafted in the USA to the highest standards, taking 6 weeks and 200 individual steps for our artisans to craft our Aviators. With a jewelry-quality 23k gold luxury finish, these sunglasses are both stylish and strong and have been worn by US military pilots for over 40 years.
- Handcrafted in the USA with top-grade materials
- Timeless aviator design with a touch of luxury
- SkyTec™ Glass AGX Green Non-Polarized Lens for superior clarity
- 100% UVA/UVB protection for optimal eye safety
- Vector™ Anti-Reflective backside coating reduces glare
- Various size options for a personalized fit
- Self-adjusting cushioned nose pads for comfort
- Limited lifetime warranty on all frames
- Trusted by pilots worldwide for their quality and performance
- The price may be higher compared to other sunglasses
- Limited color options for the frame and lenses
- The non-polarized lens may not suit everyone’s preference
- Not specifically designed for extreme weather conditions
- The repair or replacement process may take time for warranty claims
Best Oakley Sunglasses for Pilots
Oakley Crosshair Aviator Sunglasses
As a pilot, finding the right pair of sunglasses can be crucial to your comfort and safety. The Oakley Crosshair Aviator Sunglasses are a great choice for pilots who demand both style and functionality.
The Plutonite lenses provide 100% UV protection, ensuring that your eyes stay safe from harmful radiation whether you’re flying in bright or low light conditions. Additionally, the PRIZM lens technology enhances color, contrast, and detail, making it easier to distinguish important details while flying.
Pilots can rely on these sunglasses to maintain clear vision, even during fast-paced maneuvers.
The C-5 alloy frame material and scatter-resistant lenses make these sunglasses durable and able to withstand drops and fall. The spring hinges provide extra flexibility and adaptability to different head shapes, while the unobtainium ear socks and nose pads ensure a secure and comfortable fit, even during long flights.
Pilots can focus on their flight without worrying about their sunglasses slipping or shifting.
The sunglasses come with a micro bag included, making it easy to clean and store them between uses to maintain their quality.
One drawback of these sunglasses is that they may not be suitable for those with larger heads or wider face shapes, so be sure to measure before purchasing.
Additionally, some users have reported that the sunglasses start to embed into their heads after extended use, so it’s worth keeping this in mind if you plan to wear them for long periods of time.
Also, the lenses scratch easily, so it’s important to handle them with care and follow the care instructions provided.
- Heavy-duty metal frames and durable construction
- Oakley Plutonite lenses provide 100% UV protection
- PRIZM Lens Technology enhances color, contrast, and detail
- Patented High Definition Optics (HDO) for superior optical clarity
- Unobtanium ear socks and nose pads offer a secure fit
- Stylish design that looks great on pilots
- Lenses are prone to scratching
- Not recommended for individuals with larger heads or wide faces
- Can feel uncomfortable after extended wear
- Non-polarized lenses may not suit everyone’s preference
- Limited color options available for the frame
Best Aviators Under $100
Blenders Eyewear Mojave Gold
Blenders Eyewear Mojave Gold sunglasses are the perfect choice for pilots seeking stylish aviators under $100. With their attractive design and comfortable fit, these sunglasses offer a great user experience.
The PureBlend Lens technology used in these sunglasses ensures lightweight construction while providing superior clarity and durability. Pilots can enjoy clear vision without compromising on comfort.
Additionally, the lenses are available in both polarized and non-polarized options, allowing users to choose based on their preferences and needs.
The Blenders Eyewear Mojave Gold sunglasses are also comfortable to wear, with an ideal fit for medium to large head sizes.
They also offer 100% UV protection, which is essential for pilots flying at high altitudes for extended periods. The polarized lenses are particularly useful during bright conditions, providing better visibility and reducing glare while flying.
It’s worth noting that these glasses may not be ideal for pilots with larger faces.
- Attractive and stylish design
- Comfortable fit for most face shapes
- Lightweight PureBlend Lens for superior clarity and durability
- Polarized lenses reduce glare and improve visibility
- International shipping and 45-day free returns policy
- More suitable for individuals with smaller framed faces
- Some customers reported receiving incorrect orders
Other Great Pilot Sunglasses
Serengeti Aviator Sunglasses
The Serengeti Aviator Sunglasses are an essential accessory for pilots seeking the finest eyewear. Designed with the discerning pilot in mind, these sunglasses offer a multitude of features that combine style and practicality.
A standout feature that sets these sunglasses apart is their advanced photochromic lens technology. Pilots who are avid readers of the sky will appreciate how these lenses automatically adjust their darkness based on the surrounding light conditions.
This ensures optimal visibility at all times, allowing pilots to read crucial details in the sky, regardless of whether they are flying in bright sunlight or transitioning to a lower-light environment.
They are also chemically tempered to ensure scratch and impact resistance. Additionally, an anti-reflective coating is added to the backside of the lens, canceling the scattering light that causes reflective glare, making them an excellent choice for bright sunny days.
One of the most useful features of these sunglasses is the minus-blue color that adds contrast on cloudy and overcast days. Retired military and major airline pilots highly recommend them because they work and improve the view and colors.
Serengeti Aviator Sunglasses for pilots is light and comfortable to wear. Professional eyeglass stores have a no-charge policy for bending the arms to fit correctly, ensuring that they stay in place while pilots are flying. These sunglasses are of extraordinary quality and are impressive with their photochromic lenses. They represent an excellent value for the price, and pilots can’t go wrong with these sunglasses.
Pilots can trust in the strength and impact resistance of the frames, knowing that they are crafted to endure the demands of aviation.
The wide fit range ensures a comfortable and secure fit for pilots of various face shapes and sizes.
- Advanced photochromic lens technology for optimal visibility
- Ultra-light mineral lenses provide exceptional visual acuity
- Durable metal frame construction for longevity
- The wide fit range ensures a comfortable and secure fit
- Requires professional adjustment for optimal fit
- Limited understanding of the underlying science behind the lenses
- May not fit all head sizes perfectly
Gucci Pilot Aviator Sunglasses
Gucci Pilot Aviator Sunglasses are an excellent choice for pilots who are looking for the best sunglasses for flying. They feature a metal frame and come in gold/grey color. The size of the sunglasses is 60/17/145, which fits most head sizes.
One of the most useful features of these sunglasses is that they come with a 2-year international warranty, so pilots can be confident in their purchase. The non-polarized lenses provide excellent clarity and vision without any distortion. Additionally, the product is legit, ensuring that pilots get what they pay for.
The aviator style of these sunglasses makes them very stylish and fashionable, making them perfect for pilots who want to look good while flying. However, their stylish design is not the only thing that sets these sunglasses apart. They are also comfortable to wear, thanks to the lightweight metal frame that provides a secure fit without causing discomfort.
While these sunglasses are not available in any other colors, the gold and grey color combination of these sunglasses adds a touch of elegance and versatility. The neutral tones effortlessly complement any outfit, whether it’s a pilot uniform or casual attire. This flexibility makes the Gucci Pilot Aviator Sunglasses a versatile accessory that can be worn beyond the cockpit.
One notable feature of these sunglasses is their non-polarized lenses. While polarized lenses are often favored for reducing glare, non-polarized lenses can still provide excellent protection against harmful UV rays and offer clear vision. This makes them a reliable choice for pilots who prioritize UV protection without compromising visual clarity.
- Stylish and fashionable design
- High-quality metal frames for durability
- Versatile gold and grey color combination
- Non-polarized lenses provide UV protection and clear vision
- Lightweight frames for comfortable wear
- 2-year international warranty for peace of mind
- Limited color options
But wait, are you wondering, are aviators good for pilots? They are honestly the most excellent choice of sunglasses to use when flying. If you wanna know their other added benefits, then check out the article above.
How to Choose Pilot Sunglasses
Choosing the right pilot sunglasses is essential for ensuring optimal eye protection and visual clarity during flights. Here are some factors to consider when selecting pilot sunglasses
- Polarization: While polarized lenses can reduce glare, they can also interfere with the visibility of vital instruments in the cockpit. Non-polarized lenses are often the preferred option for pilots.
- Lens Color: The color of the lens can affect how well a pilot can see in different light conditions. Gray, brown, and green lenses are good choices as they provide good contrast and depth perception without distorting colors.
- UV Protection: It’s essential to choose sunglasses that offer 100% protection against harmful UV rays. Exposure to UV radiation can cause eye damage, so it’s important to protect your eyes.
- Fit and Comfort: Sunglasses should be comfortable to wear, and the fit should ensure they stay in place while flying. A lightweight and durable frame is ideal for extended periods of use.
- Style: While style is not the most critical factor, many pilots prefer aviator sunglasses for pilots as they offer good coverage and a classic look. Other styles such as wraparound or sports sunglasses may also offer suitable eye protection.
- Brand and Quality: It’s important to choose sunglasses from a reputable brand that offers quality products. Look for brands that specialize in pilot sunglasses or have a long history of providing high-quality eyewear.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of pilot sunglasses?
Pilot sunglasses are designed to protect the pilot’s eyes from the harmful effects of UV radiation and glare while flying. They also improve visibility and reduce eye fatigue, enabling pilots to perform their duties safely and effectively.
Are polarized lenses recommended for pilot sunglasses?
While polarized lenses can reduce glare, they can also interfere with the visibility of vital cockpit instruments. For this reason, non-polarized lenses are often recommended for pilot sunglasses.
What lens color is best for pilot sunglasses?
Gray, brown, and green lenses are popular choices for pilot sunglasses as they provide good contrast and depth perception without distorting colors. However, the best color may depend on individual preferences and requirements.
Can I wear regular sunglasses while flying?
Regular sunglasses may not be suitable for flying as they may not provide adequate protection against glare and UV radiation. It’s essential to wear sunglasses that are specifically designed for pilots and provide the features necessary for optimal vision and safety while flying.
What should I look for when choosing pilot sunglasses?
When choosing pilot sunglasses, consider factors such as polarization, lens color, UV protection, fit and comfort, style, brand, and quality. Additionally, evaluate your needs and preferences carefully before making your purchase to ensure you get the best sunglasses for your flying needs.
How do I care for and clean my pilot sunglasses?
To care for your pilot sunglasses, use a microfiber cleaning cloth or lens cleaning solution to remove smudges and debris. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage the lenses. Store your sunglasses in a protective case when not in use to prevent scratches.
In conclusion, the best sunglasses for pilots are those that prioritize functionality, safety, and comfort in the cockpit. Non-polarized lenses are preferred to ensure clear visibility of digital instruments and LCD displays.
UV protection is crucial to shield pilots’ eyes from harmful rays at high altitudes.
Sunglasses with color enhancement features can improve contrast and depth perception, enhancing visual cues. An anti-glare coating minimizes reflections and unwanted glare, reducing eye strain.
Finally, a secure and comfortable fit allows pilots to focus on their tasks without distractions. While individual preferences may vary, sunglasses that encompass these features offer pilots optimal eye protection and visibility during their flights.