Certainly! Cleaning your eyelash extensions is important to maintain their appearance and prolong their lifespan.
However, it is essential to clean them safely to avoid damaging them or causing irritation to your eyes.
But wait! Do you need to Clean Eyelash Extensions?
YES, OF COURSE!!
Are you wondering how? Just keep scrolling through this page to get your doubts answered.
Why Should You Clean Your Eyelash Extensions?
So why do you need to clean your eyelash extensions? There are two main reasons.
You don’t want your extensions to fall off easily, right? Unclean extensions have a weak glue bond and your eyelashes might not last long as needed.
– Lash Health
But the most important reason you need to clean your extensions is to avoid eye infections. Eyelashes have a natural purpose and it is to trap any dust and debris so that your eyes remain safe.
During the procedure, your lash technician does not attach the extensions directly to your skin. Instead, the lash extensions are attached 1-2 mm away from your lash line.
Over a few days, the gap between your lash line and the extensions could collect dust and debris, and excess oil from skin and makeup, resulting in bacterial growth. Dirty lashes can cause painful eye infections.
How To Clean Your Eyelash Extensions?
Before you clean your lash extensions make sure your extensions cure for at least 48 hours after the procedure. Follow these steps to clean your eyelash extensions at home.
- The first thing you should do is remove the makeup. You can do this by applying an oil-free makeup remover using a wet cotton tip.
- The next step is to remove the foundation using an oil-free cleanser.
- Wet your lashes with plain water.
- Apply a small amount of lash shampoo/lash cleanser to both your lashes using a cleansing brush.
- Gently rinse with water.
- Pat dry your lashes using a clean dry towel that is lint-free.
- Brush your lashes with a mascara wand to curl and maintain shape.
What Can Be Used To Clean Eyelash Extensions?
You could use the following to clean eyelash extensions at home.
- Oil-free and alcohol-free cleansers like foaming cleansers: These clean your lashes completely without any residue and they also don’t weaken the lash glue bond.
- Micellar water: Micellar water can clean even the most stubborn makeup and thus it can deep cleanse your lash extensions whenever you have makeup on. They also leave you with clean, moisturized, and healthy lashes. Ensure your micellar water doesn’t contain glycerine and is not oil-based.
- Lash shampoo: Good lash shampoos are made to gently remove dirt, residue, and makeup from eyelashes. It also boosts lash health.
- Lash cleanser: A professional lash extension cleanser will nourish, deep clean, and protect your natural lashes too apart from the effective removal of dirt and makeup debris from your lash extensions.
- Use a gentle cleanser: Use a gentle cleanser that is specifically designed for eyelash extensions. Avoid using oil-based cleansers or makeup removers, as they can weaken the adhesive that holds the extensions in place.
- Use a clean spoolie brush: Use a clean spoolie brush to gently brush your lashes, removing any dirt or debris. Make sure to brush gently and avoid tugging or pulling on the extensions.
- Rinse with water: Rinse your lashes with water, making sure to avoid getting water directly on your eyes. You can use a cup of water or a gentle spray bottle to rinse your lashes.
When To Clean Eyelash Extensions?
So having seen how to clean your eyelash extensions, you might wonder how often and when you should clean them. Keep reading to find out!
If you have oily eyelids or if you are a person who wears makeup daily, then you need to clean your lash extensions every day. If not, you could clean them twice or thrice a week.
It is better to clean your lash extensions at night before you go to bed to remove all the dirt that might have accumulated on them throughout the day. Also, clean your extensions every time after any physical activity like swimming, gymming, or playing outdoors.
What Happens When You Don’t Clean Eyelash Extensions?
Failure to clean lash extensions regularly clearly indicates poor hygiene and you might develop the following issues.
Allergies And Irritations
Dirty eyelash extensions can result in itching and burning sensations in the eyes. This is due to bacterial growth that can cause eye allergies. Your extensions might fall off and more importantly, your eyelids might become sore.
It can also result in severe conditions like blepharitis which is the inflammation of the eyelids. The common symptoms of blepharitis include the following:
- White flakes in your lashes like dandruff
- Itching and burning sensation in your eyelashes
- Eye dryness
- Watery eyes
- Gritty feeling in my eyes
Eyelash mites are a thing!!
They do exist and can cause trouble to your eyes.
When bacteria grow in dirty lash extensions, they form a biofilm that attracts parasites called Demodex and these are nothing but eyelash mites!
Eyelash mites cause redness and itching in the lashes and they look disgusting! They are painful too! So make sure to clean your lash extensions regularly!
Extensions Easily Wear Off
When you don’t clean your lash extensions properly, the dirt, oil, and makeup debris weaken and break the lash glue bond. This can cause easy wearing off of your extensions.
You might see that they fall off sooner than expected and you might need to get the procedure done again. Now that costs extra money and time!
Poor Lash Growth
Dirty eyelash extensions damage your natural lashes and inhibit their growth. So apart from losing your lash extensions, you would also end up losing your natural lashes. Sounds bad, doesn’t it?
Cleaning Eyelash Extensions: Some Don’ts
- Don’t use baby shampoos to clean your lash extensions. Though these can remove dirt and clean your extensions, they cause the extensions to become brittle and could wear off the extensions easily.
- Don’t use oil-based or glycerine products for makeup as well as removal. These products break down lash glue and cause the detachment of eyelashes easily.
- Don’t use cotton pads, buds, or sponges while cleaning your lash extensions as they might rip out the extensions.
- Avoid wearing mascara or eyeliner, especially waterproof ones, as much as possible. These two make cleaning very difficult.
- Be gentle while you clean your lash extensions. Do not rub your lashes violently as it would cause your extensions to fall out and could also damage your eyes.
Enjoy the beauty of your lash extensions healthily for a long time by properly cleaning the extensions. We hope you had your doubts cleared by reading this.
So go on with a beautiful and confident look in your eyes!!