Did you get your glasses dirty?
Did you find 70% isopropyl alcohol in your house?
But can you use 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean glasses as an alternative?
For all you not-so-science-loving minds, 70% isopropyl alcohol is commonly known as rubbing alcohol, too. So if you have found that and are planning to clean glasses with it, hold on, and do one little thing.
Read through the article to know if you can use 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean glasses and if it is even worth it?
Difference Between 70% Isopropyl Alcohol And Sanitizers
There isn’t much difference between 70% isopropyl alcohol and sanitizers. Even a lot of sanitizers are made with 70% isopropyl alcohol due to their effectiveness in killing germs, bacteria, and viruses.
The main difference between 70% isopropyl alcohol and sanitizers is the quantity of alcohol, chemicals, and pH level, and 70% isopropyl alcohol is safer when compared to sanitizers in these areas.
BROWNIE FACT – 70% isopropyl alcohol is used for commercial cleaning purposes, too.
How To Clean Glasses With 70% Isopropyl Alcohol?
Using 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean glasses is an extremely easy process. Just follow the below-mentioned steps,
- Get some 70% isopropyl alcohol, water, a spray bottle, microfiber cloth, and your precious eyeglasses.
- Take the spray bottle and fill 1/4th of it with 70% isopropyl alcohol and the rest with water.
- Mix it well.
- Spray the solution on your lenses and even frames.
- Wipe the solution off with a microfiber cloth.
- Let it dry, and you’re done.
Here is a PRO TIP!
If you want to clean your glasses with 70% isopropyl alcohol but more safely, you can always add a bit of dish soap liquid into the solution while making.
The basic nature of dish soap would reduce the acidic effect of 70% isopropyl alcohol, hence, protecting your eyeglasses.
Advantages Of Using 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
So, you have decided to go ahead and clean your eyeglasses with 70% isopropyl alcohol, here are a few advantages of it,
- It kills bacteria, viruses, germs, etc.
- It is very easily available, too.
- Even though using alcohol-based items is avoided, 70% isopropyl alcohol is safe for high-quality lenses and frames.
Disadvantages Of Using 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Just like everything else, even the 70% isopropyl alcohol method comes with its disadvantages, here are a few,
- Even though leaning towards the basic nature of the pH scale, the 70% isopropyl alcohol can be too harsh for the coatings of your lenses.
- The 70% isopropyl alcohol might fade away some ink or dye off of your frame.
Alternatives To Cleaning Glasses
Instead of getting into the method involving 70% isopropyl alcohol, there are a few way easier and even safer ways. Below listed are a few of them,
- Use the classic dish soap and water method.
- Use lens cleaning wipes.
- Use the lens cleaner and microfiber cloth.
Precautions To Be Taken
When dealing with 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean your eyeglasses, there are a few precautions you need to take care of:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before cleaning glasses.
- Ensure that the coating of your lens is not safe from 70% isopropyl alcohol.
- Ensure that the frames are of high-quality material.
Even though 70% isopropyl alcohol is said to be safe for high-quality lens material and frame material, it is still advised to avoid this method and rather go for the simpler ones, like, the dish soap and water method.
Just make sure in some hurry or carelessness you do not end up losing your precious glasses’ special coatings or frame designs.